Sunday, October 17, 2010

Gettin' a Touch Soppy...

Well, many times I have made the insinuation that I also write poetry, but if I recall correctly, I have never actually posted any. That has largely been due to the fact that for me it's emotionally private, so I don't actually show people. But, for once, I have something I am willing to share. So, without any more fanfare, here it is:

Love is like a rose.
With too eager a grasp,
With fervor that cannot last,
You shall be wounded.
But, if you beware,
And handle with care,
You shall be astounded.


I'll leave you all to either agree or disagree, but for me it rings true. This poem actually runs in tandem with a previous poem I wrote, although that one was far more cynical and frustrated. It also used the rose/love analogy, but this one I feel has been tempered by time and thought, and speaks more truly of how I think and feel. This actually came into existence this very evening in my local church service, which proved to be a revelatory night on many different levels. That's what I love about poetry, it's a short, succinct, and yet powerful way of conveying a snapshot of emotion and the way one thinks of the world.

On the note, adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment